Nature at The Confluence (NATC), will be a destination, nature-based, public open space dedicated to making City Center’s historic confluence of the Rock River and Turtle Creek a place of gathering, exploration, recreation, learning, and inspiration for people for all ages and abilities.
This project will be completed in phases and ultimately will be one of the largest urban ecology centers in the Midwest. The new Learning Center will be open June 17, 2017 and events will be held for the whole family from 9 am-3 pm!
Located halfway along the newly designated national Rock River Trail, this land has been used and explored by humans for more than 13,000 years. Ancient hunters, native American mound-builders, French fur traders and today’s river explorers have all traversed the waters and lands of this area. This history of the space along the banks of the Turtle Creek and Rock River make the Confluence an appropriate site to tell a very important story about urban ecology. It has the potential to serve as a wonderful outdoor recreation and adventures for area families and students
Meet Me At the Confluence Open House – Saturday, June 17, 10:00 a.m. – 3:00 p.m.
►12:00 p.m.-12:45 p.m. Featured Presentation “Experience the Raptors – Live!” A program by Northern Illinois Raptor Rehab & Education Program featuring live raptors.
►10:00 a.m.-2:00 p.m. – Programs & Activities
- Discovery Stops for Families featuring nature play areas
- Story Walk by South Beloit Library, also come learn about their new Nature Backpacks
- Community Input Wall – A Place to Share Your Ideas for the Confluence
- STEM for Kids – Fun science activities
- The Rock River Trail – Paddle it, hike it, bike it, drive it and experience it! Find out all about this 320-mile trail that runs from Horicon, WI to Rock Island, IL.
- Lake Girl Glass Jewelry by Dee Dee Williams, who makes beautiful jewelry from “found” items.
- Help Seed the Centennial Prairie – come throw seed balls (while supplies last), or plant milkweed seeds.
- Welty Environmental Center activity table
- Free Ice Cream compliments of Taylor Company
- Learn about Raptors – an interactive display by Northern Illinois Raptor Rehab & Education Program
- Register to win a Rain Barrel
►10:30 a.m.-3:00 p.m. – Scheduled Programs and Activities◄
- 10:30 a.m. – “Tales from the Trail – A Rock River Journey” Gary Meier, Perry Folts and Terry Meyers have just returned from a 163 mile Rock River paddle journey on the Rock River Trail. Come hear about their adventures and learn about the trail.
- 11:30 a.m.-12:00 p.m. – Learn about The Centennial Prairie and our Learning Gardens, including our Pollinator Garden, Pizza Garden and Italian Heritage Garden.
- 12:00 p.m.-2:00 p.m. – Visit Beloit Go To Crew will offer activities & fun
- 1:00 p.m.-2:00 p.m. – “Confluence 101” – Learn about plans for Nature At the Confluence and the Confluence Campus including the proposed city hall and library.
- 3:00 p.m. – Fur Trader’s River Run Community Paddle Trip with Rocktown Adventures. Reservations required, call 815-636-9066 to reserve your spot. Fee is $50 for guided trip with rental and shuttle, $20 for shuttle only.
Learn more about Nature At The Confluence at www.natureattheconfluence.
com. Email info@naturettheconfluence. com or call (815) 200-6910.