BIFF Returns for its Twelfth Year-February 24-March 5, 2017
The Beloit International Film Festival, also referred to as BIFF, is an annual ten-day film festival that celebrates the power of independent film from around the globe. Local residents and visitors from across the nation fill venues ranging in size from 40 to 400 seats to view 100 films and to meet scores of filmmakers who come from throughout the U.S. and around the world.
In 2005, the founders of ABC Supply Company, Diane Hendricks and her late husband, Ken, inspired the creation of BIFF and encouraged community support for the program. Diane continues to support the mission of BIFF–to harness the power of film and to improve community and ourselves. Now in its twelfth year, this unique festival continues to grow and has caught national attention with the New York Times calling BIFF, “a festival with a unique goal of returning the spirit of film festivals’ golden era, when guests talked film all night with directors and writers who were on hand and available for questions.” The New York Times also listed the festival as a unique alternative to other big international film festivals such as Sundance and Tribeca.
In 2016, BIFF became the first festival to partner with the Hollywood Film Festival.
This partnership has elevated the quality of the the films and draws bigger talent. In 2016 Melissa Gilbert and her husband, Timothy Busfield attended BIFF and also conducted a filmmaker’s workshop. In addition to the uniqueness of festival attendees being able to hear and discuss the director’s artistic viewpoints and perspectives, anyone can submit their own film to BIFF on their website. This gives anyone with an artistic perspective and camera the ability to be in the mix with other amazing national and international films shown at the festival. Every year BIFF invites notable professionals in the film industry to attend the festival to help greet attendees and share their knowledge and passion. It’s always a big thrill and honor to have these individuals come to Beloit to participate.
Nowlan & Mouat LLP Brings Back BIFF AFTER DARK
The Nowlan & Mouat BIFF AFTER DARK lineup presents music and entertainment each night of the Festival at locations throughout the city. From six great bands at Grand Avenue Pub to an Oscar Night party, Karaoke and final wrap party, there will be non-stop opportunities to rub shoulders with friends and filmmakers and talk movie talk.
The nightly musical lineup is centered around the stage at the Grand Avenue Pub, at 132 West Grand Ave in Beloit. The schedule kicks off on opening night! There are no cover charges and, throughout the week there will be nightly drink specials and Stella Artois giveaways. For details, please go to BeloitFilmFest.org.
- February 24: Six-piece rock group Ruff Cutz Band at 8:30 p.m.
- February 25: Hits from the 70s, 80s & 90s with Wildflower
- February 26 Academy Awards night, and BIFF will celebrate those other films getting awards with friends at Oscar Night at Merrill & Houston’s Steak Joint starting at 6 p.m.
- February 27: a blues jam with The Dave Potter Trio on
- February 28: “Twisted” covers to clever originals, from Hogtied To The Misfit
- March 1 Open Mic night with Russ Doiel
- Mar 2: 52 Special featuring Glenn Davis & Matt Goodwin
- March 3: Show off your inner entertainer when the party moves to Suds O’Hanahan’s for the annual BIFF Karaoke Night at 9 p.m.
- March 4: The legendary Orphans will keep the spirit rocking at The Rock starting at 9 p.m. Kevin Patrick and Greg Gerard will offer a classic evening of favorite feel-good songs.
More Special Events:
- February 8: Reveal Party at Suds O’Hannahan’s where you will see the first printed BIFF 2017 program
- February 13: Box Office opens at Gallery Abba – stop by for tickets
- February 24-26: BIFF Wisconsin-Illinois Showdown – A chance to find the next Scorcese
- Februrary 28: Free screening of Beloit’s episode on Around the Corner with John McGivern
- March 3: Brennan Steil S.C. Sing-A-Long – A Hard Day’s Night @ Luxury 10
- March 4: BMO Harris Silent Film Showcase with Beloit Memorial High School Jazz Orchestra @ Beloit Memorial High School
- March 5: First National Bank Classic Film – Guess Who’s Coming to Dinner @ Luxury 10